11 people dead, over 80 in hospital after consuming ‘prasad’ at temple

Reports that food was deliberately poisoned, says Karnataka CM 

The Hush Post|09:15 am| 1-min-read
As many as 11 people died and 82 hospitalised after consuming ‘prasad’ at a temple in Karnataka’s Chamarajnagar district on Friday.
According to news reports, a district official claimed that some toxic substance may have got mixed with the religious offering. “We have collected samples and sent them to a laboratory for analysis,” he said.
The ailing have been shifted to hospitals across Chamarajnagar and Mysuru districts. Many of them are on ventilator support.
According to a witness, devotees decided to eat the rice-based offering although it was smelling of kerosene. “Soon afterwards, they complained of stomachache and began vomiting,” he told mediapersons.
Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy has announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh for each of the victims’ families.
“There are reports that the food was deliberately poisoned. It is being tested,” Kumaraswamy said.
Police said the religious offering was distributed after the temple’s foundation-laying ceremony. “Doctors think the toxin could be pesticide,” an investigating officer said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here