The Hush Post: The country-wide bandh on a call given by various Dalit organisations to protest against the apex court’s ruling on amendments under the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act 1989 took a violent turn as four persons were killed in Madhya Pradesh on Monday.
The Supreme Court of India on March 20 had reportedly introduced the provision of anticipatory bail in the act while directing that there would be no automatic arrest on any complaint filed under the law.
The ruling drew flak from the Opposition parties and some of its own leaders, who said that it would make the law ineffective, the Business Standard reported on Monday.
While the protests were reported from all over the country, the Central government on Monday filed a petition seeking review of the Supreme Court’s order diluting the provisions of the act that protects marginalised communities against discrimination and atrocities.
Earlier on Monday morning, Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said the government filed a comprehensive petition in the apex court which would be presented before the top court by senior lawyers.
Meanwhile, a storm of outrage engulfed numerous parts of the country, including Bihar, Punjab, Odisha, Uttar Pradesh, and Rajasthan, which even saw angry protestors taking to the destruction of private and public property to send their message of disapproval to legislature and judiciary, the report said.
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said it was closely monitoring the situation and was in constant touch with the affected states after violent protests erupted during a nationwide bandh called by Dalit outfits against the alleged dilution of the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, which left at least four people dead in Madhya Pradesh and many injured.