The Hush Post | 3:20 pm | One-minute read
After the deaths caused by encephalitis in Bihar, Odisha government ordered the laboratory test of litchis being sold all over the state. The government took this action after the reports that litchi was one of the factors for the spread of AES.
About 100 children died due to acute encephalitis syndrome in Muzzafarpur district of Bihar which is one of the litchi growing areas in Bihar.
Naba Das, Odisha’s Health and Family Welfare Minister issued the directions for a laboratory test. An official at the minister’s office said, “The minister has asked the Food Safety Commissioner to collect samples of litchi being sold in the market.”
Also, the minister directed that the litchi samples should undergo laboratory test to find out the toxic content and its negative impact on human health.
According to the sources, in the year 2016, Malkangiri district of Odisha had reported 90 children’s death due to AES.