Man declared dead in a mob lynching case returns home |Family thinks his ghost has returned

krishna manjhi

The Hush Post| 6:42 pm|one-minute-read|

A man who was declared dead in a mob lynching incident in August in Bihar has returned home.

Those present at the spot said, initially the family members got terrified as they mistook him to be a ghost. Later they got convinced when he told them that he had left for Chennai in search of livelihood without letting anyone know of him.

Krishna Manjhi’s wife said, “I wasn’t able to identify his body…The villagers confirmed the body was of my husband as he was wearing similar clothes.” Police said Manjhi’s family had identified the body, adding they’ll find out the deceased man’s identity.

Though, she also added a twist. “The moment I was called to identify the body at the hospital mortuary, the body had completely decomposed and was beyond recognition. But I identified it as my husband’s under police pressures,” Majhi’s wife, Ruby Devi, told the media on Saturday.

While the surprise return of the “deceased” has brought happiness to his grieving poor family, since the man was the sole bread earner, the incident has raised a big question mark over the efficiency of police investigations.

At that point in time, the man had been allegedly lynched, on suspicion of being child abductor, in Bihar’s Patna district in August this year.

The police later recovered a body. It then sent it for the autopsy at a local hospital, but the victim’s face was so disfigured that no one could identify it.


Later, police said they had been able to identify the body as that of missing Krishna Manjhi, 32, on the basis of tattoos on his hands and handed it over to his family, who later cremated the body.


Police also arrested 23 suspects in the connection with the “lynching” of the man and sent them to jail.

Subsequently, the police closed the case.

Things took a curious turn on Friday evening when the man presumed to have been killed by a lynch mob suddenly emerged at his home.

“We have intimated the matter to the senior officials and are reopening the case to reinvestigate it afresh,” a local senior police official Samrat Deepak told the media on Saturday.


Leave a Reply