CAUTION: Read this story before using a hand sanitizer

c

Demand for hand sanitizers has grown significantly after the spread of COVID-19. However, the same hand sanitizers can turn deadly if not used properly. A man in Haryana suffered burn injuries while using an alcohol-based sanitizer. The man was cleaning household items with the alcohol-based sanitizer in his kitchen and accidently came in contact with fire. He suffered burn injuries up to 35 per cent.

The incident took place in Rewari on Sunday night. The man’s relatives rushed him to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital in Delhi after the incident.

The hospital said in a statement that relatives brought the man to the hospital with 35 per cent burn injuries. Doctors said the 44-year-old man suffered burn injuries on his face, neck, front of chest , abdomen and both hands.

“The man was at home and cleaning his household items like keys and mobile phone. He was in the kitchen area when at the same time his wife was cooking food. Suddenly, he spilled some sanitiser on his ‘kurta’. The fumes from the sanitiser reached the cooking gas source and before anybody could react his ‘kurta’ caught fire”.

The man’s condition is stable and hospital authorities have admitted him to department of plastic and cosmetic surgery.

“Although hand sanitiser is absolutely essential, we strongly advise that alcohol-based sanitiser must be used very carefully,” News 18 quoted Mahesh Mangal, Chairman, Department of Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery, as saying.

Sanitizers have high ethyl alcohol content — up to 62 per cent in some cases – which makes them highly inflammable and prone to lead to burns.

Doctors advise one should never use sanitizer near fire area or any heating place. It should be used in sufficient quantity and allowed to dry.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here