The Hush Post: There were panic scenes at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research after a fire broke out at the institute. The fire was reported from an Operation Theatre on the first floor of the Emergency block, which lies next to the Advanced Trauma Centre.
Nearly 150 patients were evacuated from the Intensive Care Unit and the Emergency out-patient department in the evening, around 10:00 p.m., when the fire was reported. The fire tender of the hospital rushed to the spot, and another one followed after half an hour. Thick smoke could be seen bellowing from the building of the hospital.
Assuring that no patient was injured and everything had been dealt with properly, a senior hospital official said that the first and second floors were made operational by midnight.
As per reports, firefighters broke the windowpanes on the ground and first floors to let the smoke out. They also managed to ensure that the fire did not spread beyond the OT. While no patient was injured, four security guards received minor injuries from broken glass shards.
The fire, it is believed, broke out after an operation, when a nurse was disposing off used needles in a machine. This led to a spark which gave rise to the fire. The OT was completely burnt due to the incident.