Defence Minister Rajnath Singh says Siachen now open for tourism

The Hush Post | 8:30 pm | One-minute read

The world’s highest battlefield, Siachen Glacier, has now been opened for the tourists, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said today.

The decision came a few days ahead of Ladakh being declared a separate Union Territory on October 31.

Rajnath Singh was in Ladakh today with Army Chief Bipin Rawat for the inauguration of a strategically located bridge across the Shylok River. This bridge will provide easy connectivity with the Dulat Beg Oldi sector along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China.

In a tweet, Rajnath Singh said, “Ladakh has tremendous potential in tourism. Better connectivity in Ladakh would certainly bring tourists in large numbers. The Siachen area is now open for tourists and tourism. From Siachen Base Camp to Kumar Post, the entire area has been opened for tourism purposes.”

Defence Minister Rajnath Singh had visited Siachen in June this year and had praised the soldiers deployed in the region.

According to the reports, earlier in the late 1970s, the Indian Army used to allow expeditions to Siachen but they stopped it completely in the year 1984.

Leave a Reply