Indians spending 90 per cent of online time on mobile phones

heavy mobile phone usage in India
Representative photo

The Hush Post: Some bad news for Indian population and good news for smart phone companies. Almost 90 per cent of all digital minutes spent by Indians in 2017 were spent on a mobile phone, the highest among many countries in the world.

heavy mobile phone usage in India
Representative photo

The global average share of mobile-only users hovered around 30% of Indians. According to data sourced from analytics company ComScore by the Times of India, Indians spent 89% of all their online time on a mobile phone.
Indonesia (87%), Mexico (80%), and Argentina (77%) were the other markets that were spending most of their online time on mobile phones. This was mainly due to the increasing penetration of smartphones with decreasing costs as well as a collapse in data tariffs.
People are using mobile phones more than the desktop which means ‘new’ digital audience was emerging in India, that was using only mobile phones, way ahead of markets with a bigger mobile user base like US, UK, and others, ComScore noted.

‘Job search’ was done by Indians the most on the mobile while hospital search, and other health services like medical insurance, was being done on the desktop. The top five mobile apps used on the phone were Whatsapp, Google Play, YouTube, Gmail, and Google search.

Online retail giant Amazon, gained significant ground in India compared to all other markets, according to the report. It saw more than 120% increase in user growth.

Whatsapp saw the highest engagement share in India, with close to 98% of all minutes on messaging apps being spent on Whatsapp. The rest 2% was on Facebookmessenger. Interestingly, just 1% of messaging minutes were spent by Americans on Whatsapp.

Leave a Reply