SC refuses to pass orders today on Shaheen Bagh without hearing other party, says protesters can’t block road indefinitely

Shaheen Bagh protest

The Hush Post| 1:23 pm|one-minute-read|

The Supreme Court has issued a notice to Centre, Delhi government and police on pleas seeking removal of protesters from Shaheen Bagh. At the same time, it refused to pass orders on Monday.

Hearing petitions seeking the removal of anti-CAA protesters from Shaheen Bagh, the Supreme Court said protesters cannot block the public roads and create inconvenience for others.

Amit Sahni, the advocate who filed an appeal in the SC against the January 14 order of the high court directing the police to deal with the situation keeping in mind law and order, had said due to the protests since December 15 last year traffic flow on Kalindi Kunj-Shaheen Bagh stretch has been badly hit.

“If you want to protest, there can be some area where you protest. You cannot block a public road. Can you block a public area? There must be defined areas of protest,” the Supreme Court noted.

The SC said that it will not pass any direction on Shaheen Bagh protest without hearing the other side. Now the Supreme Court has listed the matter for hearing on February 17. “If it’s lasted for 58 days, you can wait one more week,” the Supreme Court observed.

The Supreme Court had earlier said it will hear the pleas seeking removal of anti-CAA protestors from Shaheen Bagh. This in order to ensure that the Delhi Assembly elections are not “influenced.”

Earlier, Sahni had approached the high court seeking directions to the Delhi Police to ensure smooth traffic flow on the Kalindi Kunj-Shaheen Bagh stretch which has been badly affected.

Restrictions have been imposed on the stretch as also the Okhla underpass due to protests against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA) and National Register of Citizens (NRC).

Leave a Reply