Tommy, lone survivor of Burari tragedy, dies of heart failure at dogs’ home

Tommy. after he was rescued from the Burari house where 11 members of a family lost their lives in a case of mass suicide. Photo courtesy: HT photo

The Hush Post: “Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen,” author Orhan Pamuk has said about dogs. When there is nobody left to listen to them, they probably just give up. The same fate awaited Tommy, the pet dog of the unfortunate Burari’s Bhatia family 11 members of which lost their lives in the  mass suicide at their home. The pet dog of the family died of a heart attack at his new address Noida’s ‘House of Stray Animals’on Sunday evening.

Talking to a national daily, Dr Santosh Kumar, the in-house veterinarian with House of Stray Animals, said, “We ran two blood tests on Tommy on July 2 and July 10. Initially, he was suffering from fever for the first two days but his condition improved later”.

The lone survivor of the tragedy in the house ,Tommy, had been chained on the terrace with high fever when the police found him after finding the 11 dead bodies. He was immediately taken to the dog home in Noida after being rescued. Animal activist Sanjay Mohapatra had adopted Tommy, 6, an Indian-Pitbull mix breed.

Tommy had been very aggressive and ferocious when an animal rescue team had approached him on July 1. It took the team 90 minutes to control the dog and put him in an ambulance.

The eldest member of the family Narayan Devi’s grandson Prashant Singh Chundawat had recently e-mailed Mohapatra, thanking him “for adopting and taking care of our only remaining family member, Tommy’’.

“We live in Kota, Rajasthan, and it is very difficult for us to get him here as he is not familiar with us and is very aggressive,” he had written.

Mohapatra said he has informed a relative of the Burari family regarding the dog’s demise.

“Initially, Tommy was depressed… He refused food for the first two days. But his condition improved over the next few days. He had resumed eating and was also acting friendly. I had started taking him on morning and evening walks…,” said Mohapatra.

“Tommy seemed fit and fine till Sunday evening. He suffered heart failure after about 6 pm and collapsed all of a sudden,’’ said Mohapatra.

Tommy weighed 35kg, had undergone blood tests and his reports were fine.  “As the dog was brought into a new environment after the tragedy, it required love and attention at the centre. It is possible that the dog couldn’t adjust to the new environment and this took a toll on his health,” Geeta Seshamani, vice president, Friendicoes was quoted in the news report.


Leave a Reply