The Hush Post: The number of patients coming to Delhi’s OPDs in both private and government hospitals is a point of concern. More and more patients with a cough and cold, runny nose and breathlessness are coming due to dust pollution. Doctors across Delhi reported an increase in the number of patients with respiratory ailments.
“The number of patients with respiratory conditions who come to the clinic with such symptoms has doubled in the last five days. In fact, some people not diagnosed with asthma also came in with symptoms,” said Dr Brig. Ashok Rajput, director, department of pulmonology, Fortis, Shalimar Bagh.
Dr SP Byotra, head of the department of medicine at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, has seen a three-fold rise in the number of patients coming in with dust allergies in the last couple of days.
- Avoid exercising outdoors when the air is hazy
- Stay indoors in air-conditioned rooms, use air purifiers if available
- People with already diagnosed respiratory problems should use N95 masks when stepping out
- While travelling in cars, roll up the windows
- Avoid places with high-vehicular density
- People with asthma or COPD must take their medicines regularly, despite summers
- Drink water from time to time
“The biggest precaution one should take is to avoid dust as much as possible. People should stay indoors as much as possible. And, if they have air purifiers, they must use them. However, if they step out, they must use masks,” said Dr Rajput.
Doctors also suggest travelling in cars with windows rolled up.
“The people who go out for walks or exercise in the open should avoid it at all costs. Heavy breathing during exercise results in people inhaling more of the pollutants,” said Dr Rajput.
For people who are exposed to the dust and have congestion or a runny nose, doctors advise antihistamine. “People can take an antihistamine or anti-allergic medicine if their symptoms are really bad. However, if a runny nose or congestion does not go away in three to seven days, they should go to the doctor,” said Dr Byotra.