Mamta Gupta, The Hush Post: The Queen of England used to send greeting cards to those persons who used to cross 100 years of their life.
About 40 years ago, the Queen used to send such greeting cards to about 2,000 British citizens who were of 100 years or older. In 2018, this number has gone up by 10 times, about 20,000. It means, the average life of people in Britain is increasing. But, here in India, the average life of an ordinary citizen is 68. Normally, people want to live a long life even if they don’t say about it.
If you also want to live a long and healthy life, here are some useful tips.
- Food: The biggest chunk of your daily diet should have vegetables, salad and fruits. This should be followed by wholemeal cereals, breads, potatoes, pasta and rice. In a slightly less quantity milk, yogurt and cheese can have. Meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs and nuts are the most important diet part of the food pyramid. Fats, spreads and oils should be taken in less quantity. Food which is rich in fat, sugar and salt should be avoided.
- Exercise: Walk less but more number of times, if you are eighty years above. More frequency of walk is required, you can walk thrice a day. With each walk of not more than fifteen minutes if duration
- Sleep: The longer you sleep, the more you live. Siesta /afternoon nap is very important.
- Supplements: After consultation with the doctor, it is important to take multivitamin and get enough calcium and vitamin D in the morning.
- Social interaction: Try to be more social by attending marriages, joining clubs. Try to be in the company of young people. Have at least one hobby which will keep you young and happy like playing cards.
6 Set aside time for relaxation.