Beware – Eating too much ghost peppers could be fatal!

Ghost Peppers

The Hush Post: Are you aware of this fact – Ghost peppers also known as Bhut jolokia and red naga are one of the hottest in the world.

Yes, you don’t believe it then read on, they are so hot that they can be used to make grenades and even guns that cause temporary blindness. They are off the charts on the hotness scale, zeroing in on over one million Scoville heat units. Scoville scale is a measurement of the pungency (spicy/heat of pepper) of chilli peppers and other spicy foods, as reported in Scoville Heat Units (SHU).

And yet, people still can’t help but eat them and they are eaten widely and used in varied dishes.

In 2016, one man from California learned the hard way why this pepper was named the way it was. Challenged to a contest, he was able to gulp down a hamburger topped with a ghost pepper puree. (Keep in mind that a single seed can cause a horrific burning sensation that lasts up to a whopping half hour).

Now, what followed was worse! Even after drinking six glasses of water, the man couldn’t stop vomiting and was rushed to the emergency room with severe chest and stomach pain. All that vomiting resulted in a collapsed lung and a 2.5-centimeter (1-in) hole torn in his oesophagus.

Death from a pepper is not a very heroic thing, but a torn esophagus is downright gruesome. Without treatment, death from infection is a certain outcome. Fortunately, the man was hospitalized for 23 days and sent home with a gastric tube. It’s safe to assume that he’ll keep a wide berth around peppers from now on.

So, you be careful the next time to plan to binge on something which is laced with ghost peppers.

 

Leave a Reply