The Hush Post|13:30 pm|1-min-read
Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case joined the BJP on Wednesday. Now, she will contest against former MP Chief minister and Congress leader Digvijaya Singh in Bhopal.
At the BJP office in Bhopal, she said to reporters, “I have formally joined the BJP. I will contest elections and will definitely win. It won’t be difficult for me”.
Reportedly, she met senior BJP leaders Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Ramlal and Prabhat Jha at party’s office.
Alok Sanjar, the current BJP parliamentarian from Bhopal, told NDTV that the party fully backed her and would ensure her victory from the seat. “No allegation was proved against her. A woman was harassed. Now it’s time for revenge.”
Sadhvi was an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blasts. But, she was given a clean chit by the National Investigation Agency (NIA). However, a special NIA court in December 2018 refused to discharge her from the case. Though the court dropped provisions of the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) against her, Thakur is being tried under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA). Last year, she was granted bail by the Bombay High Court.
The 29 Lok Sabha constituencies of Madhya Pradesh will go to polls in four phases on April 29, May 6, May 12 and May 19. In the 2014, Lok Sabha polls, the BJP had won 27 seats in the state, with the Congress managing to retain only Chhindwara and Guna.
Since 1989, the BJP has never lost in Bhopal. So, on the request of Chief Minister Kamal Nath, he accepted to contest from tough seats like Bhopal or Indore, where the Congress hasn’t won in years.