Man shows COVID-19 symptoms month after he landed in India| Infection remains mystery

corona deaths

The Hush Post| 7:02 pm| one-minute-read|

A man who landed at Delhi on March 1 showed symptoms of COVID-19 on a month and three days later.

With this, the total number of Covid-19 positive patients in Assam rose to 25 on Saturday with five new cases being reported.

Twenty-four of them are connected to the Tablighi Jamaat congregation in Delhi last month. However, the focus is on this one patient not linked to that meet.

The 44-year-old businessman a resident of a posh apartment complex in Guwahati had returned from a trip abroad on March 1. The source of his infection remains a mystery.

“We don’t think the patient got infected in Delhi because though he returned from the capital on March 1 he showed no symptoms for a month and was detected positive only on April 4,” said Assam health minister Himanta Biswa Sarma.

“If he was infected in Delhi, his symptoms should have been visible within 4 weeks and not after that. So we suspect he got the virus from someone he came in contact with in Guwahati after his return from Delhi,” he added.

Many of those 111 people have been sent to government quarantine facilities. The rest have been put in home isolation. The apartment complex where the patient resides, and has over 150 families, has been sealed.

“Until we get results of all 111 samples we can’t say it’s a case of local transmission. In all probability this doesn’t seem to be local transmission as the patient has confirmed that he met people who came from Delhi and Kolkata in the past month,” said Sarma.

Till Saturday, tests were conducted on 1529 samples at five different labs in the state. Of this, while 25 tested positive, 1308 have been found negative and results are awaited for 196 samples.

“It is unfortunate that every day we are getting fresh inputs about more and more people from the state who had visited the congregation. I appeal to the district and state level functionaries of Tablighi Jamaat in Assam to give us the entire list of attendees voluntarily,” said Sarma.

“We have not got the kind of response we expected from them. If we don’t get all the information within Sunday we might be forced to ask the police to get involved in tracing them,” he added.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here