The Hush Post: The civic polls which are being held today in three cities of Punjab, are largely peaceful with the exception of Congress alleging that Akali supporters damaged three shops and vehicles in ward no 14 in Patiala. Elections to elect representatives to three municipal corporations of Jalandhar, Patiala and Amrtisar along with 29 municipal councils and nagar panchayats in Punjab are underway. The results will also come out by the evening.
If one is to go by the trends in the past, normally the ruling party usually wins the local bodies’ polls. Therefore, a lot is at stake for the Congress in order to prove that it is still as popular as it was back when they came to power in the state. For SAD-BJP, the biggest concern is that it should not be staring at a kind of defeat it witnessed in the assembly polls when the ruling combine was pushed down to number three.
All three Municipal Corporations were under the SAD-BJP alliance sway. The BJP dominated the Jalandhar and Amritsar civic bodies with SAD being the smaller partner while the BJP controlled the Patiala MC.
After the elections to the three cities of Punjab, the focus will immediately shift to Ludhiana, the business hub and the biggest city in Punjab. The likelihood of Ludhiana elections is in mid January.
- 69 per cent polling in Amloh Nagar council of Fatehgarh Sahib till 2pm
- 68 per cent polling reported in Bariwala Nagar Panchayat in Muktsar till noon
- There are a total of 873 polling stations in the state having 1,938 polling booths
- A total of 8,000 election staff and 15,000 police personnel have been deployed.
- More than 900 candidates are in fight.