President Trump says US will not pay to protect Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

The Hush Post | 6:11 pm | One-minute read |

US President Donald Trump has said that the United States will not pay to protect Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle if they move to the US. He was responding to reports that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had moved to California.

President Trump on Sunday tweeted, “I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!”

Prince Harry is grandson of Queen Elizabeth II and sixth in line to the British throne. Harry had married American actress Meghan Markle at Windsor Castle in May 2018. Later, the couple said their scrutiny by the British media was “intolerable”

The royal couple announced in January to quit as senior royals, seek financial independence and move to North America. Finally, they split in March and moved to Canada and are based in Vancouver Island.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been fulfilling their final round of commitments as working royals over the last week.

Canadian authorities also said last month they would stop paying for the couple’s security once they ceased to be working royals.

Notably, as duke and duchess of Sussex, Harry and Meghan have been considered “internationally protected persons”. Hence they warrant security measures under international treaty.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here