Couple dies of asphyxia after restaurant catches flames in Doraha

179
Fire
Representational Image

The Hush Post, Ludhiana: A couple died of asphyxia after a restaurant in Doraha caught fire on early Sunday.  The fire brigade called on from Khanna and Samrala doused the flames.

Bodies of lovers found in the room. The situation suggested that they have tried to escape to save their lives, but trapped inside the building as the flames have engulfed the whole building. The reason behind the fire is not ascertained yet, but it is suspected that building caught flame due to a short circuit in power supply cables. As alcohol was stored in bar-cum-restaurant it spread and engulfed the entire building.

The deceased have been identified as Daljinder Singh, 25, of Dhamot Kalan of Payal and Kulwinder Kaur, 22, of Beejapur Kothey village in Khanna. No other employee of the restaurant was present in the building at the time of the incident.

The manager came to know about the fire at 2 am

Manager of Touch Restaurant and Beer Bar at National Highway-1 in Doraha said that he came to know the flames at 2 AM when watchman telephoned him. He immediately alerted fire brigade and reached the spot.

“The flames started from the ground floor of three storied building. When I reached the spot, the whole building caught flames. Meanwhile, fire brigade reached the spot and started throwing water on the flames,” said the manager.

“After the firefighters doused the flames they found dead bodies Daljinder Singh and Kulwinder Kaur in the room they availed on rent. The couple has introduced themselves as husband wife and also deposited their identification cards also. They said that they are going to Amritsar,” he added.

Yashpal Rai, the fire official said that when they reached the spot the flames were already spread in the whole building. They doused the flames in one hour.

The deceased did not suffer any burn injuries but they died of asphyxia. Body of man found near the bed, while the body of the woman found lying between room and lobby. It suggested that they have struggled for life. They are checking whether the building has its own fire fighting system or not.

Restaurant owner Sonu Cheema said that whole building, furniture and all things have gutted in to flames.

Superintendent of Police (SP) Balwinder Singh Bhikhi said that the police have sent the bodies to civil hospital Ludhiana for postmortem and also informed the families of deceased. The police have inquest proceedings under section 174 of CrPC.

The police are investigating the matter at their own. If any discrepancy found at the end of the owner the police will take appropriate action against him.

The families of deceased are reluctant to share any detail. They worked together in a private firm.

Leave a Reply