Rajasthan government orders fresh probe into Pehlu Khan lynching case

The Hush Post | 4:32 pm | One-minute read |

Two days after a Alwar court acquitted all the six accused in the Pehlu Khan lynching case, the Rajasthan government has ordered a fresh inquiry into the case. The Additional District & Sessions court in Alwar had acquitted all the six accused for want of evidence and gave them the benefit of doubt.  Three accused minors are undergoing trial in a juvenile court.

The verdict was received with outrage and shock. The video of Pehlu Khan being attacked had gone viral on social media. The 55-year old, a native of Haryana’s Nuh, had succumbed to his injuries in a hospital.

Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot had on Wednesday said the state government would appeal against the verdict. On Friday, the Gehlot government ordered a fresh investigation into the case.

Pehlu Khan had left his village to purchase cattle in order to increase milk produce for Ramzan on April 1, 2017. A mob mob of cow vigilantes surrounded him on the Delhi-Alwar highway. The mob had beaten Pehlu Khan to death with rods and sticks.

It her judgement, Additional District & Sessions Judge Sarita Swami had pointed to several lacunas in the police probe. She said that police did not properly seize the cell phones that had been used to record videos of the incident. Also, she noted, that the police did not submit the videos it did acquire to a forensic lab. The police did not get the witnesses to identify the accused, she added.

The police had also failed to correctly record Pehlu Khan’s dying declaration.

Leave a Reply