5 children, aunt, choke to death after TV, Fridge catch fire

Death
Representational Image.

The Hush Post | 6:43 pm | One-minute read |

In a horrific incident, five children and their aunt died after a short circuit at their home in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh. The incident took place in Uttaranchal Vihar Colony in Ghaziabad’s Loni town. Police say that the fridge and television caught fire after the short circuit. The children and their aunt were suffocated to death resulting from the smoke which emanated from the fire.

Ghaziabad police said the children were sleeping with their aunt Parveen, 40 inside a closed room. The other family members were in Meerut to attend a wedding. The children were aged between 5 and 12 years.

It is believed that the incident occurred after the six went to sleep. They shut the door of the room to keep out the winter chill.

“Late at night, there was probably a short circuit in which the refrigerator and television caught fire. All the victims were asleep. There was gaseous formation in the room as a result of slow-burning activity and the victims died. Their bodies also had burn minor injuries,” Neeraj Kumar Jadaun, superintendent of police of Ghaziabad (rural) told Hindustan Times.

“Most of the family members had gone to their native place at Jani in Meerut to attend a wedding. The five children were sleeping with their aunt on the ground floor of the three-storeyed house. We are conducting the legal formalities and a post mortem examination will be conducted to know the exact cause of death. Prima facie, it seems a case of asphyxia due to thick smoke which resulted after the gadgets caught fire,” Jadaun added.

Leave a Reply