Dehradun school gang-rape victim denied admission in many schools

120
Dehradun gangrape

The Hush Post| 8:30 am| two-minute-read

The gangrape victim who went through the ordeal on August 14, has been denied admission in close to half-a-dozen schools in Dehradun. The reasons attributed for denying admission to her are two: That she was a rape victim or that she was weak in studies. However, many say that her being weak in studies is just a pretext several schools have used for denying admission.

The Indian Express quoted the counsel for the victim, Aruna Negi Chauhan, where she said, “In the last week of September, the girl’s parents were visiting several CBSE schools in Dehradun to get her an admission in Class X.”

However, one school openly denied admission to her on September 27. The school said since she was a rape victim, she cannot be part of the school. The school happens to be in the city’s cantonment area.

On August 14, the girl was allegedly gang-raped by four boys in the premises of the boarding school. The boys were also students of the same school. The incident came to light in September. Three of the boys were sent to a juvenile correction home in Haridwar. Ever since then, five members of the school administration and staff have been sent to jail. Also, one remaining rape accused, who is an adult, was sent to Dehradun district jail.

The girl has finally been able to get admission. However, her parents had to go all the way out of the city to get admission for the girl. Meanwhile,  the victim’s counsel Aruna Negi Chauhan has filed a complaint against the school/schools to the Dehradun police, the CBSE, and the district administration via e-mail for denying admission to the girl.

Leave a Reply