Former Miss India Universe attacked by miscreants, Kolkata Police evaded to help citing “jurisdiction” issues

The Hush post | 13:22 | Two-minute read

Former Miss India Universe Ushoshi Sengupta was attacked by a group of young men in the heart of south Kolkata on Monday late night. The incident took place while she and her colleague were returning home from a hotel on Eastern Metropolitan Bypass in an Uber taxi.

Ushoshi shared her plight on social media on Tuesday afternoon. Kolkata Police allegedly sprang into action only after her post went viral. By evening Kolkata Police arrested seven young men who were identified as Sheikh Imran Ali, Atif Khan, Sheikh Rahit, Sheikh Gani, Sheikh Wasim, Fardeen Khan and Shabir Ali.

Reacting to the arrest, Sengupta said on Tuesday night, “I want to know how these youth have become so fearless? I don’t want to be treated specially because of who I am. This can happen to anyone. This cannot be the Kolkata I have always known.”

The accused young men who were motorcycle-borne were not wearing helmets. They first stopped the taxi at the busy Exide intersection around midnight and tried to drag Tarak, the Uber driver, out of the vehicle after one of the motorcycles dashed against the car. Sengupta got out of the car and faced them. She even shot a video which she later shared on social media.

The model turned actor complained that when she ran to the Maidan police station located across the street, a police officer initially refused to come to help saying the portion of the road where the incident was taking place is under the jurisdiction of Bhawanipore police station. Eventually, he agreed to help. On seeing the police, the accused young men ran away but followed the cab to Lake Gardens where Sengupta and her colleague live.

The model alleged, “When I was dropping my colleague they attacked the car and broke the windshield. They dragged me and tried to snatch the phone to delete the video. My colleague, a member of the LGBT community was scared and ran to safety. I started shouting for help and local people came out. The young men escaped then.”

Sengupta further alleged that when she approached the Charu Market Police station to lodge a complaint which is in charge of the area she lives, the officials asked her to go to Bhawanipore police station. However, a complaint was finally registered.

On the other hand, Kolkata Police tweeted on Tuesday night at 8 pm, “We have taken this incident very seriously and seven persons have been arrested so far. On the order of the police commissioner, an inquiry regarding the non-registration of FIR has been initiated into the incident at a very senior level.”

Leave a Reply